Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 | Iowa History Journal
The January, 2010, issue features articles on the great career of Iowa basketball legend Murray Wier, former movie Tarzan Jock Mahoney of Davenport, the Younkers store dynasty, the Iowa Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame and the Spirit Lake Massacre of 1857!
Also columns by regulars Mike Chapman, Arvid Huisman and John McNeer; Iowa History Quiz, and a book review on the best-selling book “The Girls of Ames.”
The feature article in the issue is about the great Corn Palaces of Iowa.
Inside the Issue:
- The Day Tarzan came to Iowa
- Natural Royalty, Iowa’s Palaces – by Bill Sherman
- Murray Wier, the Magic Man – by Buck Turnbull
- Iowa Country Roads – Memories live on in farmhouses – by Arvid Huisman
- Rock ‘n Roll Museum … Here to stay – by Michael Swanger
- Jock Mahoney, King of the Jungle – by Mike Chapman
- Iowa Book Review on “Girls from Ames” – by Jessica Lowe
- The Way We Were – Phones once shared by everyone – by John McNeer
- Memory of the Spirit Lake Massacre – by Pete Hussmann
- Younkers’ 150-Year Heritage – by Staff Writers
- When Sleighs took over Council Bluffs – by Frank Heath
- What’s in a Name: Waverly & Bremer County
- Iowa History Quiz
- Nile Kinnick Quotes: The Power of the Bible
- Letters to the Editor
Visit IowaHistoryJournal.com to subscribe!
No comments yet.
To comment on the story, leave a comment below.
To contact Mike, go to the contact page
Upcoming Speeches and Appearances
- March 29, 2017 – Flag Day, Knoxville Library