Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 | Awards, Wrestling | No Comments
The Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association has announced that Mike Chapman will be among those inducted into its Hall of Fame on April 18. The hall of fame is in its 45th year of recognizing outstanding individuals who have impacted wrestling in the state of Illinois.
Though born and raised in Iowa, Mike worked on three different newspapers in Illinois, for a total of nearly 15 years. His last job in Illinois was as executive editor of Sauk Valley Newspapers in Dixon, from 1988 to 1998. While there, he created WIN magazine, the nation’s top wrestling publication; the WIN Memorabilia Show, held each year during the NCAA Division I tournament with crowds of 10,000 or more, and the Dan Hodge Trophy given each year to the nation’s top collegiate wrestler.
“This was a wonderful surprise,” said Mike, when notified of his selection. “I have great admiration for the wresting heritage of Illinois and I am delighted to be a part of it, however small.”
Monday, January 10th, 2011 | Awards, Wrestling | No Comments
On January 1, 2011, Missouri Wrestling Revival announced that Mike is the recipient of its 2011 Award for Lifetime Achievement for professional wrestling. Here is a little bit of what the web site had to say about the honor:
“Mike has represented the Midwest and the wrestling world with class and honor by promoting the sport as a public speaker, an author of 21 books (14 about wrestling), the creation of a great wrestling museum, and his work has appeared in dozens of national and regional magazines.”
It is the fifth such “Lifetime Achievement” type award for Mike, the others being:
- Cauliflower Alley Club (CAC) Art Abrams Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001;
- The Burroughs Bibliophiles Award in appreciation of work for perpetuating the memory of Edgar Rice Burroughs and his works, 2004;*
- National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum Order of Merit for lifetime achievement, 2007;
- The President’s Award from the Iowa Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association, for contributions to high school wrestling in the state of Iowa, 2007.
* Edgar Rice Burroughs was the creator of Tarzan and John Carter, Warlord of Mars.
Upcoming Speeches and Appearances
- March 29, 2017 – Flag Day, Knoxville Library